WHAT: Parenting Teens Support Group with Katie
WHO: Parents of adolescents/teens ages 11-16
WHEN: 4 meetings this academic year: Sept 21, Oct 19, Jan 25, and Feb 22
WHERE: A private residence near the intersection of 183 and 290. The address will be shared with enrolled participants.
COST: $40 per class/$160 total.
Fee is per household so you can bring a parenting partner if you have one, at no extra charge.
Parent Support Groups do not have a set agenda. We will talk about whatever questions or topics the members bring! That said, we’ll generally be talking about the typical things that parents of teens find challenging. For example:
- school problems (homework, attendance, achievement or lack thereof)
- Group size is limited to just 12 families.
- Each session is from 6-8pm, and starts with a potluck dinner. Yes, please plan to bring a dish to share!
- We’re meeting in a private residence in NE Austin.
- Our very first session will include introductions and a discussion about our agreements with each other (ie, safety, support, permission.)
- Subsequent sessions are tailored to what YOU want.
- Where did the idea for this support group come from? This is Sara Cotner of Magnolia Montessori’s great idea!
- Do I have to do anything in group? Not really. You can be a person who asks questions or someone who appreciates others’ questions. Parents often have parallel challenges… so hearing other’s questions and answers can be just as valuable as your own.
- This group is a great fit if your child is arguing, power struggling with you, avoiding homework/chores, having moods, having hygiene problems, underperforming, lying, being disrespectful, having peer problems, withdrawing from old friends, or even if they are doing mostly okay!
- This group is not a great fit if your child is experiencing serious mental illness, significant substance abuse, or is transitioning in to or out of a higher level of care. If you are looking for a group to meet those needs, please fill out this form to talk to me about other options.